Public Agenda is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization founded in 1975 by social scientist and author Daniel Yankelovich and former Secretary of State Cyrus Vance. Our mission is to help leaders and citizens work through tough issues and achieve pragmatic solutions. We pursue this mission through nonpartisan research, public and stakeholder engagement and communications on issues ranging from education to immigration and from healthcare to energy.
The Director of Development will be responsible for designing, and implementing, Public Agenda’s development strategy, with an emphasis on helping the organization diversify its funding sources and systematize its overall development operations including proposal development and tracking. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and the President, the Director of Development will work with senior staff to plan, direct, and coordinate all development activities, including foundation and government grants and individual donor cultivation and solicitation. This is an exceptional opportunity for the experienced development professional with an interest in the kind of work Public Agenda does.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Work with senior staff across different departments to create and implement an overall development plan and strategy with annual updates.
• Recommend and oversee the implementation of a system to streamline and organize the execution and tracking of grant proposals to both foundation and government funders.
• Cultivate and leverage key relationships with current and potential individual donors, and work with senior staff on a new major gifts strategy.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit resume, salary history and requirements, and short description of management style and previous successes with “Director of Development” in the subject line to email@example.com.
Salary commensurate with experience and includes a competitive benefits package.
Public Agenda is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization.
We are seeking an extremely organized and energetic individual who can provide development leadership to an established—yet rapidly evolving—nonprofit. S/he should have:
• A minimum of eight years of development experience, at least five of which should be in the non-profit sector, with a documented track-record of success.
• Significant experience in at least 2 of the following 3 areas: (1) procuring government grants and contracts; (2) managing major gifts strategies; (3) foundation funding experience.
• Strong capacities for leadership and strategic thinking, coupled with a flexibility to switch between “big picture thinking” and “nitty-gritty” implementation tasks when necessary.
• Strong capacities for team participation and team management, including excellent communication skills and a desire to mentor less experienced staff.
• Interest in the organization’s mission and work.
For over 30 years, Public Agenda has been providing unbiased and unparalleled research that bridges the gap between American leaders and what the public really thinks about issues ranging from education to foreign policy to immigration to religion and civility in American life. Nonpartisan and nonprofit, Public Agenda was founded by social scientist and author Daniel Yankelovich and former Secretary of State Cyrus Vance in 1975. Public Agenda’s two-fold mission is to help:
– American leaders better understand the public’s point of view.
– Citizens know more about critical policy issues so they can make thoughtful, informed decisions.