Greenpeace seeks an innovative, entrepreneurial, and seasoned development professional to manage and inspire our 300-person strong fundraising staff and hundreds of thousands of supporters across the United States to give their all in our fight together for a green and peaceful future. The Director of Development is responsible for the leadership and management of all Greenpeace USA fundraising programs for Greenpeace Inc., and Greenpeace Fund, including the street canvass, major donors, foundations, direct marketing (mail, telemarketing, etc), planned giving, and supporter services. The Director of the Development serves as a member of the Senior Management Team, which provides leadership on overall organizational strategy, management, administration, finance, and program development. This is a full-time, exempt position located in Washington, DC.
Key responsibilities include:
• Developing and executing the implementation of annual and multi-year development strategies and plans for all aspects of GP USA’s fundraising program, including short- and long-term measurable goals.
• Overseeing the development, testing and implementation of new and creative fundraising programs to attract new donors and upgrade current donors.
• Supervising all aspects of the development expenditure and revenue budget, including development, presentation, implementation, tracking, and regular reporting.
• Ensuring the integration of fundraising programs and strategies within the department and across the organization.
• Participating in international fundraising program development, including providing training and support.
• Ensuring the appropriate involvement of key staff members from across the organization in fundraising activities.
• Continually strengthening an understanding within the organization about development as a form of activism, communication, and education.
• Collaborating with Campaigns and Communications teams on acquisition and donor communications strategies.
• Supervising, training, and developing the Development staff.
• Working closely with the Campaigns, Actions, and Communications Departments in the development, implementation, and evaluation of GP USA’s integrated public communications strategies.
• Regularly monitoring and reviewing all vendors providing services to Greenpeace USA’s development program against agreed budgets and performance criteria.
• Ensuring clear, accurate, and consistent reporting and communication between the Finance and Development departments.
• Regularly providing reports on development activities to Senior Management Team and Board of Directors.
• Work closely with the Senior Management team on organizational strategy.
Experience and Qualifications:
In addition to 10-plus years fundraising experience, including at least five years of experience at the senior management level in a large non-profit, strong candidates will have the following experiences and qualifications:
• Entrepreneurship, including a proven ability to develop and execute new fundraising models.
• Extensive experience in leadership positions for direct marketing or major gifts programs.
• Experience with a wide range of fundraising techniques, including direct mail, foundation appeals, and individual solicitation.
• Ability to serve as a key member of Senior Management Team working on organizational strategy and planning.
• Strong management skill set and the ability to motivate, inspire, and develop a diverse staff, including team members working around the world.
• Experience implementing and managing the operational infrastructure required for a successful development program, including database systems and vendor and finance management.
• Ability to work closely across departments and teams to develop and execute communications, marketing, or public relations strategies to support resource development.
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience; graduate degree preferred.
Skills and Characteristics:
Strong candidates will be rigorous, entrepreneurial, and highly strategic individuals. They will also possess the following skills and characteristics:
• A track record of constant innovation and delivery of new fundraising models.
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, and the capacity to interact effectively with a broad range of individuals and organizations.
• Strong metrics and operations orientation, including proven skills in financial management, budget control, as well as timely and accurate reporting of performance against agreed targets.
• An openness to learn, in particular, from the fundraising experience of other countries.
• A passion for the work of Greenpeace USA and a desire to continually broaden and deepen the organization’s impact.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Greenpeace USA has engaged Koya Consulting to help in this hire. Please send a compelling cover letter and resume to Molly Brennan at email@example.com.
Greenpeace is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
Driven by a dynamic and growing street canvass, Greenpeace in the U.S. has doubled in staff and funding over the past five years, growing to 23 offices throughout the United States. This surge has enabled the organization, in the past year, to shut Vermont’s nuclear plant; convince 12 major grocery chains to phase out red-listed fish; convince Kimberley Clark, Nike, Timberland, and other companies to stop driving global deforestation; pass a toxics law through the U.S. House; and beat back attempts to weaken the EPA’s authority to regulate carbon pollution. For more information about Greenpeace USA, visit http://www.greenpeace.org.
About Koya Consulting:
Koya Consulting is a national retained search and consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations. For more information about Koya Consulting, please visit http://www.koyaconsulting.com.